Taffy Apple Pie
by Gladys Russell
* 2 cans of Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milkNOT evaporated milk
* 1 graham cracker crust
* 3 apples diced into ½ inch pieces. Johathans or Braeburns work best. Wash well, and leave the peeling ON!
* 8 ounces of nuts. (I like walnuts best, but you can use peanuts if you want to stick to the “taffy apple” theme.
* 1 quart water
* ¼ cup lemon juice
- Drop both cans of milk (still sealed, labels removed) into boiling water, and boil for 5 hours, replacing water as needed.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Remove the entire top of the cans with a can opener.
- Dice your apples one at a time. When diced, take them in your hands and dunk them quickly into a quart of water with a quarter cup of lemon juice in it. Repeat with other apples. (The secret to success with this pie is to dry the apple pieces!) Put them out on paper towels and blot them repeatedly.
- Spread one can of caramelized milk into the graham cracker pie crust.
- Sprinkle with all of the apples.
- Cover the apples with the second can of caramelized milk.
- Sprinkle the nuts over the caramel mixture, and gently mash them into the apples.